At Mascott Construction (Europe) we take social and environmental factors into consideration alongside financial factors in making decisions on the purchase of goods and the commissioning of services. Our purchasing decisions where practicable consider whole life cost and the associated risks and implications for society and the environment:
- Consideration of the levels of packaging that comes with new products and whether an alternative can be used.
- Levels of recycled content are considered. Most products will state whether they contain recycled products or will have a symbol indicating this.
- We will aim to source all wood products with FSC Certification.
- Low energy option is chosen where possible. Larger electrical items contain energy labelling indicating energy efficiency rating.
- Consideration of products that are more durable and do not need to be replaced as frequently. Consider spending more on a product if it will last three or four times longer.
- Consideration is given to products that can be recycled or reused after they’ve been finished with.
- Where possible products are chosen from local suppliers in order to help support the local community and reduce our carbon footprint by minimising the resources needed to transport the product.
- Where possible products are chosen that have caused low levels of pollution, either through their manufacture, usage or disposal – relating to for example lower levels of raw materials used, lower levels of energy or water used, reduced transportation, reduction in chemical content or reduction in packaging.
We encourage suppliers to join the ethical trading initiative to ensure that people in the supply-chain are treated with respect and have rights with regard to employment including the rights to freely choose employment, freedom of association, payment of a living wage, working hours that comply with national laws, equal opportunities, recognised employment relationship, freedom from intimidation and to a safe and healthy working environment.
Our Environmental Management System is certified to IS014001:2004 and is continually reviewed to demonstrate our commitment to responsible procurement. In turn we expect our suppliers and subcontractors to have an Environmental policy in place and operate in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations addressing Environmental protection and encourage them to adopt sustainable practices in the way that they do business with us.